HOT ROD 1985 AUG - STREET RACING, BUICK V-6, BANKS
Within this issue you will discover the following topics:
1) STREET RACING: What it is, what it isn't, and why
2) POPULARITY POLE: Inside the stock-block Buick V6 that won the pole at Indy
3) PONTIAC FIERO GT VS. TOYOTA MR2: Not all two-seaters are created equal- it takes rpm, not cubic inches, to make the difference
4) PORKY'S SIX Part 2: Fat Jack's fat-fendered '46 Ford coupe begins taking shape with body panels, paint, and tin
5) GOAT BUSTER: HOT ROD's giveaway '66 GTO
6) MUSCLECAR RESTORATION PARTS GUIDE: A complete source list for Detroit's performance cars, 1955 and later
7) HOW TO PAINT Chapter 6: Sand and shoot; match and spot
8) POWER TEAMS: HOT ROD talks to four of the flashiest teams in drag racing
9) BULLETPROOF: The trick inside Pete Chapouris' 12-second '39 convertible is a 600-hp Chevy which puts out 400 ponies all day long
10) OLD NEW-STALGIA: The 5th Annual Nostalgia Nationals
11) STARTING LINE: "I did my share of street racing."
12) REACTION TIME: "New Breed," "Engine Swapping," and "Drawing Board" kudos
13) RODDIN' AT RANDOM: Engines you can Bank(s) on, Pontiac's IMSA Grand Am, Goodyear's Frontrunners, and the Fed's regs
14) LIL' JOHN'S PLACE: "Pride of accomplishment lasts a lifetime "
15) PIT STOP: Horsepower and top speed, low-buck fusebox, Chevelle rear suspension fix, and more
16) FINISH LINE: The hottest thing in road racing, Floyd's photo contest continues, Bill Elliott and Don Garlits sizzle, and more
Plus other great hot rod, racing or how-to items.
THE COVER: We gathered four of LA's best and baddest street machines in a typical after-midnight parking lot session in front of the oldest existing McDonald's drive-in, in Downey, California. Naturally, they drew a crowd. Randy Lorentzen set up the lights and shot the photo.-P.G.